History Lesson of the Russian nesting dolls
- Russian nesting doll (synonyms - nested doll, stacking doll) or matryoshka as it is sounded in Russian - probably, the most popular Russian national souvenir.
- The first Russian nesting doll (matryoshka) was born in 1890 in the workshop "Children's Education" situated in Abramtsevo estate new Moscow.
- The attention to detail and creative skill of the Matryoshka artists will amaze you.
In old Russian among peasants the name Matryona or Matriosha was a very popular female name. Scholars says this name has a Latin root "mater" and means "Mother". This name was associated with the image of of a mother of a big peasant family who was very healthy and had a portly figure.Subsequently, it became a symbolic name and was used specially to image brightly painted wooden figurines made in a such way that they could taken apart to reveal smaller dolls fitting inside one another. This symbolizes the hope and value of life and the family; the heart an soul of Russian people. source
- Matryoshka dolls have been popping up everywhere from actual dolls to prints and patterns on jewelery, fabrics, clothing, kitchen utensils, cups, plates etc..
- These are some of my favorites!